Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Day 38-Valentines Day... The Fantasy Vs. The Reality


If you are a parent... you know that Valentines day changes once you have kids.  Its no longer ALL about you and your significant other, you have made new little people to love so much that your heart just could pop.  Going out to dinner for V-day is not a luxury afforded to you.. unless you have a babysitter who has nothing better to do on V-day. (or if you are us.. NO baby sitter in the country at all)... I could go on and on about how things have changed.. but if your a parent.. you already know.
This is about valentines day with kids... the fantasy that was going to happened in my head... and then when ACTUALLY happened.
This is my first Valentines day as a mother of two, my first valentines day as a SAHM, and my first in a new country with no one I really know.  I knew that Valentines day was not going to include a romantic candle-lit dinner with my husband, with no sitter it is just not an option... so I decided I was going to make the best of this Valentines day with my little loves, as well as my big one.  This is how the day was going to go down... in my head:
~The kids and I would wake up, and I would make special heart-shaped pancakes for little man, and some fresh banana pure for little lady.  They were going to adore it, and adore me for being such a super-awesome mom.
~When little lady took her nap, little man and I were going to make special heart-shaped chocolate chip cookies for my husband. 
~Because little lady was going to take a nice 2 hour nap, I was going to set little man up with a movie after awesome-cooking baking, and I was going to take a shower, and even shave my legs!
~Upon waking up from her afternoon nap we would all hop in the car and go to a play date with one of Gray’s favorite friends.  I was going to bring a small plate of heart-shaped cookies for the little boy, and his mom (one of my only friends up here) was going to marvel at what a domestic goddess I am. (ok.. stop laughing and keep reading)
~After the play date, little lady was going to take her final nap when we got home, little man and I were going to play until my husband got home with take-out, 2 dozen red roses from a florist (not a grocery store) and new diamond earrings (I have only been hinting for 4 years)
~We would give the kids their Valentines gifts, and they love them, and us for being so awesome.
~We would all eat dinner together, little man was going to eat everything on his plate, as was little lady.  After dinner we would all indulge in the yummy heart-shaped cookies myself and little man made together.
~We would all retire to the family room, playing games until bed time, at at promptly 8:00pm, both kids would be sound asleep in their beds.. neither of them would put up a fight.. they were going to do this for me, because they love me, and its Valentines day.
Once the kids were asleep, my husband and I would curl up on the sofa, and watch a sappy movie, because he loves me and its Valentines day (damn-it!)
OK. Now for the reality.  If you know us personally, you should stop laughing now, and read on.  This is how it REALLY went down:
~The kids and I woke up, came downstairs, and I asked little man if he wanted pancakes.  He yelled, “YES!!  I LOVE PANCAKES!!” So I went to take the mix out, only to realize that it was almost empty... so I mixed the pancake mix with a little bit of flour and baking powder, how different could it be?  As I poured the cement-like batter onto the griddle, I quickly realized that I was not going to be able to shape them into hearts.  Little man is easy to please though, and after drowning them in syrup, he gobbled up two, plus a banana.
~I made little lady her fresh banana puree... and she spit it all out, looking at me like “WHY... WHY WOULD YOU FEED ME THAT SH*T!”
~Little lady took her nap and little man and I were about to make cookies.. only for me to realize that I forgot to get butter.  Damn it... But it was OK.. We could make chocolate covered strawberries!
~F*ck... I somehow messed up the chocolate.. I think I bought the wrong kind.. and it didn’t melt right... so what did I do?  I ate about a 1/2 cup of it.. there goes the diet!
~Little lady woke up from her nap early.. thats OK.. she would take her 2 hour nap later.
~Lunch with the kids-pretty uneventful-yay!
~Put little lady down for her afternoon nap, she would DEFINITELY sleep for 2 hours this time!  I set little man up with a movie, he told me he was “SO SLEEPY” and needed a nap.. until I told him I was taking a shower.... then he insisted that he was “Very stinky, and he NEEDED a shower.”  There was no talking him out of it.... there goes shaving my legs.
~Little lady woke up after 40 minutes with a massive blow-out diaper... awesome... so I had to cancel our afternoon play date because little lady was going to need another nap right in the middle of it.
~I gave the kids their presents, little man told me “I LOVE THIS!!!”.. then two minutes later threw the stuffed monkey on the floor and said “I no yike this monkey... but i LOVE the chocolate.  Little lady chewed on the nose of her Minnie Mouse... I guess that means she likes it?
~I placed  my order for our take out, then little lady woke up from her final nap (again only 40 minutes.. no 2 hour nap for her!).  I went upstairs to get her, and little man pissed his pants.
~I came downstairs to mr. pee-pee pants, and an email from the restaurant that they were no longer taking orders (even though their website said they were)... shit... I didn’t take anything out for dinner!
~Called my husband to tell him we had no dinner, and he told me he was at the grocery store buying me a present anyway, so he would pick something up.
~He came home with dinner.. a card, and ice cream (there goes the diet... again).. no diamond earrings.. and no roses :(... (but really.. I have been hinting for 4 years... I think its just not going to happen.. and I kill plants in record speed)
~Because little lady skipped her long nap, I had to put her to bed early, but I missed her “bedtime window” by 10 WHOLE minutes, so she cried though out our whole dinner.
~ At 7:30 little man stated that he needed to go to bed early, phew!
~after an hour of fussing from little lady she did go to sleep by 8:00 (yay!)
~My husband and I did get to snuggle on the sofa and watch a sappy girly movie... :)... because it was Valentines day... and he loves me... damn it!

Didn't go quite as planned... but nothing really ever does.. it was still a perfect day with my loves <3

No comments:

Post a Comment