Saturday, February 4, 2012

Day 27- my favorite day

Saturday is my favorite day of the week. Saturday have always been my favorite, what is there not to love about them! My reasons have changed quite a bit over the years for WHY Saturdays are just plain awesome. Pre-kids Saturdays meant sleeping till 11, rolling out of bed, going out to breakfast with friends, hitting up the mall for a hot "Saturday night outfit", taking an afternoon nap, getting up around 4, getting showered and ready for the night, and being up with friends partying until 2-3 in the morning. Admittedly I do miss my Pre-kids Saturdays, but the thought of being up till 2-3 voluntarily sounds pretty awful. (of course then I could sleep till noon, then again take an afternoon nap).

Post-kids, Saturdays have a whole new reason for being my favorite. I am not sleeping till 11, I am not meeting friends for breakfast, not shopping for new clothes, nor am I taking a nap and going out to dinner... And I am usually in bed by 10. Saturdays are my favorite because I save all my weekly errands for Saturday, and I leave the kids with my husband for a few hours of uninterrupted, boring-ass adult errands. I can go food shopping, I can run to Walmart, the pharmacy, even a trip to Starbucks if I see fit! Pre-kid Richelle hated boring errands, and if you would have told her that soon she would count down the days each week until she could do them, she would have laughed in your face.

There was even a time that post-baby Richelle hated these errands, I would feel so rushed, like I had to get home ASAP to get because I would feel bad for leaving the kids with my husband for a few hours. I have since learned to let go of that guilt, my husband gets to leave the house every day, some days for 11 hours a day, while I am here with the two of them, so I have earned to go run my errands in peace. Sure, I could do them during the week, but the idea of grocery shopping with two kids scares me, and I'm just not going to do it.

Does it sound pathetic that Saturdays are my favorite day because I get 2-3 full hours completely by myself? A few hours free of tantrums, and spit up,a few hours I can pretend to be just another single girl leisurely browsing the produce. To a child-free person, the answer is probably yes, my idea of a wonderful Saturday may sound pathetic, but to fellow moms, I have a suspicion that it sounds blissful.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, absolutely blissful. Granted, my daughter is 11 now, but I remember the simple pleasure of going shopping without hauling her and the necessary "stuff" when I could leave her home with her father. And to think, the possibility of *2* kids ... your Saturdays now don't sound pathetic to me at all. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, thanks! Its really the little things that we find pleasure in now that we are parents! The perfect Saturday night to me now is a glass of wine, words with friends, and mindless TV with my husband.. my how things have changed! haha

      Delete