Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 36- I thought this was supposed to get easier?

I am a nut...full blown lunatic when it comes to the health of my kids.  Little man has always gotten really high fevers when he is sick, which means I have had about 15 panic attacks since he has been born.  When he was 4 months old, he had a mild case of "the runs", and I made my husband take rush us to the ER because I was certain that our happy, playing, alert baby was severely dehydrated and was in dire need of IV fluids.  I have placed countless hysterical phone calls to the pediatrician because I was SURE something was desperately, horribly wrong... and each time, he was just fine.  Every symptom he had, I would quickly run to Dr. Google, read all of the baby forums and message boards, where other crazy-ass parents would say things like "go with your instinct, mommy knows best..." Well, if I had gone with my instincts, little man would have been quarantined in a hospital with around the clock care for every child-hood virus he has encountered, you may think I am exaggerating, but sadly I am this bat-shit crazy.  I would talk to "seasoned" moms, and they would assure me that I was only like this because I was a new mom.  All new moms were THIS crazy, and when I had my next it would take her spleen falling out of her nose for me to take her to the Dr.  I was hoping, and praying that with my next, I would relax a little.. HA.

Little lady has not encountered many little germs because I have been lucky enough to be a stay at home mom with her.  When I had little man, I was a working mom, so he  got ALL of the little-person illnesses from day care.  But today, little lady had her first health "issue", and I wish that I could say that I handled it with the poise and grace that the "seasoned" moms promised me I would... but unfortunately, I am still a nut-case.  Little lady woke up this morning with her left eye looking a little puffy, and red around it.  It didn't look too serious, just like she has maybe been rubbing it.  I got her up, got her changed, and noticed that her left eye looked like it had something in it.  As the morning went on, I noticed that what ever it was, wasn't going away.  I tried to wipe her eye with a warm wash cloth, and she freaked out.  She didn't want me anywhere near her eye, so what do I do?  I google it of course!  I self-diagnosed little lady with a scratched cornea, and all of the forums were telling me to take her to the ER ASAP because it could damage her eye permanently.  The crazy side of me told me to get her ass in the car RIGHT away and take her to the hospital, my god... what if her eye FELL OUT because I didn't react soon enough!!  She would never forgive me if she had to wear a patch for the rest of her life!  Thankfully, I DO also have a rational side... it usually gets ignored in these situations, but the rational side of me said to just wait until the pediatric clinic opened at 3:15 (this was all happening around 1).. I would have waited in the ER room for a few hours anyway, she wasn't rubbing her eye, she was still playing, it just didn't look so great.  So I fought my urge to pack her up and leave, and put her down for her nap.  Her whole nap I was pretty much a nervous wreck.  At 3:10 little lady woke up, I had the car packed, little man ready to go, I go up to her room to get her ready to go to the clinic.  I lay her on her changing table, look at her little eyes, and they are fine.  Both of them.  Perfectly fine.  Must have been a little fuzz, or hair that was being stubborn, but I am sure glad that I listened to my rational side!  I sure would have felt like an asshole taking her to the ER for an eye booger!

And I thought this was supposed to get easier with the second!!!???!!

No comments:

Post a Comment