Sunday, January 22, 2012

Day 14- second day of ice skating with little man

Today was little mans second day on ice. Today there was much much snot and tears. He was so excited to go that he skipped his nap. My husband opted out of going and freezing his balls off sitting in the stands, so it was just the two of us. We got all of the gear on without tears, got on the ice and I suddenly couldn't skate. My legs were slipping all over the place, I started to think there was something seriously wrong with me, who forgets how to skate in a week? I look down right before I was about to tell Gray we had to go home because mommy forgot how to stand on ice, when I see that my blade covers were still on my skates... Duh. So I very carefully push little man off the ice, pull off my covers, then get him back onto the ice. They keep ice skating rinks cold, but at this point I was already sweating my ass off. So we get out on the ice, do one lap around, (with me bending over and pushing Gray around in his skate trainer) and we get back to where we started and he tells me "ok mommy, I'm done, we can go home now", I just spent 20 minutes to get us on the ice, I wasn't about to go home afters being on for about 45 seconds, so I talked him into staying a little longer.
We go around another few times, still me pushing him, he refused to try to do it on his own, then he screams "mommy!!! I have to pee and pooooooop!!!".... So I quickly get him off of the ice, ask where the bathroom is and I am told to go into the changing room, where the hockey players get changed. So we go in, bundled for the storm of the century, and it was at least 95 degrees in the changing room. I strip little man down as fast as I can, all while his little legs are wobbly on his skates, and run him into the bathroom. I look in the toilet and there are massive balls of tape in it. We were at a high school / boarding school for rich kids, and those little shits clogged the toilet with tape balls! So I lift little man up, and hold him in front of the urinal and hope and pray that he farts and is over the poop thing... Thank god that is exactly what happened, because I really don't know where I would I had him go. Would I let him poop on the tape balls? I would feel so bad for the cleaning people!
We leave the bathroom, soaking wet from our own sweat, and get back on the ice. I was able to talk Gray in attempting to skate on his own with his skate trainer (it's really just a little walker made out of PVC pipe). He stood still for about 2 minutes, moved is feet a little, screamed "IT'S TOO SLIPPERY! IM ALL DONE, LETS GO HOME NOW!" There was no arguing this one, he meant business. We were there for a grand total of 35 minutes. About 10 spend putting skates on, 10 in the bathroom, 10 on the ice, and about 5 taking skates off.
As exhausting as it was, I am sure we will go back next week. He came so far from last week, when he cried almost the whole time. He was so proud of himself for being able to stand on the ice without falling, and it was a proud momma moment as well. Hopefully within the next few weeks he will venture out and try to skate on his own a little more, and maybe we will even stay in the ice for more than 10 minutes. In any event, it was a great mommy and Gray day :).

No comments:

Post a Comment