Friday, March 9, 2012

Day 53-The Road not Taken

Yesterday a friend of mine from art school added me on facebook.  I have not spoken to him in a few years, we took different paths in life.  While we both went to school for art, both painters, both became art teachers, but I chose to prioritize having a family and being with them as my #1 goal, and he his painting.  He eats, sleeps, and breaths painting, and it is very obvious in his work.  I have always been completely amazed by his abilities with the paintbrush.  Check out his work here. (See... amazing!) When he created a studio in his garage, he told me I could come over any time and work, but I was planing a wedding, got pregnant and just did not have the time to devote.

Yesterday while I was looking though his work, I couldn't help but wonder.. what would life be like if I had also chose that path.  What if I put my painting as my number #1 priority.  I like to think that I could have made it.. I once had a professor get very frustrated at me and tell me that I had the talent, I could do great things with my art, but I did not put the time in.  And she was right, if I had worked harder and painted more, I probably could have been something great.  What if I put more time in, I could be in galleries, art shows, and would be as inspiring to others as my friend is...

After I threw myself a pity-party of what could-have been... I stopped and looked around at my life.  I could have been a great artist.. but how fulfilling would that have been to me?  Maybe my art would hang on a wall of a gallery.. but who would have been waiting for me when the big gallery party was over? My paintings couldn't love me back. I certainly wouldn't have time for a family.  I could have been a great painter..  but I am a great mother.  I am a good wife... and for now I am an OK artist, and I am fine with that.  The kids will get older.. and I will eventually have more time for myself, so maybe then I will focus more on my art.  But for now, as I look down the road not taken, I could not be happier with the path I chose.

No comments:

Post a Comment