Monday, March 5, 2012

Day 51-Date Night

When we lived in NJ, we could pretty much go out when ever we wanted.  The kids have THE BEST grandparents anyone could ask for, who really just want to spend as much time with them as possible.  We could count on AT LEAST 2 date nights a month, my Mother in law needed her little man sleep over at least once a month, and so did my mom.  It was wonderful.  Things have changed quite a bit...being up here in Canada, our date nights are few are far between.  When we moved here my husband's boss recommended his niece as a baby sitter.  His 16 year old niece.  We have NEVER left the little people with anyone other than our parents, or very very good friends, and little lady usually won't let anyone put her to sleep but me, so I knew that a 16 year old was just not going to have the patience to deal with a very "spirited" little munchkin.  While the offer was nice, we had to decline on the 16 year old, I am too much of a spaz to leave my children with a kid.  Our dates nights are limited to when we have either my mom, or my mother in law come up to Canada... which is maybe once every other month, if we are lucky.  We got really lucky this past month and had them come on back to back weekends, so we fully took advantage of having TWO whole date nights in two weeks!
Last weekend we went and saw a movie, then when out to dinner, it was nice, and pretty typical for a "date".. besides the fact that we were home by 8, and I was in bed by 9, haha.  Little lady is still a difficult sleeper, so as much as I love my husband, and would have loved to go out for drinks and flirt the night away with him... a girl needs her damn sleep.
Last night was our second date night.. it was SUPER exciting!  (I say this in the most sarcastic way possible).. Yesterday we started p90X... I am going to give it a few days before writing a full post on it.. but judging from yesterday, this week is probably going to include some hysterical stories.  Just yesterday my husband had to stop 40 minutes into the "chest and back" DVD because he thought he was going to throw up, and I got stuck in a few of the push ups and just collapsed to the floor.  So by the time our "date" started.. we were both pretty exhausted.  First we went to buy a "George Foreman" grill, so we could healthily cook the massive amount of meat that is required for the program.. then we headed to toys-r-us to look for a birthday present for little man.. he will be 3 tomorrow.  Where the hell is the time going?!?... then we went to dinner at 4:45 to eat our "last meal" (the P90X diet is VERY high protein.. and LOW carb... sigh).. and the best part of date night?  We went grocery shopping.  Yup, I bet you can just feel the romance.  We found a brand new- enormous grocery store of the gods about 5 minutes from our house, and we were both pretty excited to check it out.  We walked it, and the place was like nothing we have ever seen.. we felt like we just did not belong there... I would go into details, but I doubt that my readers will get as jazzed about the sparkly beautiful grocery store as we were.. plus I wouldn't want to make you jealous seeing that it is ALL the way up in Canada, and most of you will not  be able to experience its glory... anyway, we stocked up on our meals for the week, slowly strolled up and down every isle, and returned home by 7:30 (I was in bed by 8:30 haha).
I know that our most recent date  night may not seem like the most romantic, or magical date ever.. trust me, at one point in time, we did have more exciting date, and hopefully we will get back there some day.  But we did it together, and that is what counts.  While shopping for a George Foreman grill, or for high protein meals does not spew love, we did it so that we could do this whole diet and work out plan together.  With two kids we lead a very hectic life, and we (like many many couple) often forget to set time aside for US.  We are doing this thing together, and even though our "date" did not include flowers,  drinks, or making out like a couple of crazy teenagers.. it was setting us up for a daily allotment of time for "us".. and I think that sounds pretty damn nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment