Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My Journey, Won't You Join Me?


In January I started a mission for myself.  Operation "Get Your Ass in Shape, Girl".  I have always been "thin."  Before I had kids I was always in decent shape, though I never really stuck to a work out routine.  After I had my son, people would  tell me "you look great for having a baby!" I kept on about 10 lbs of my pregnancy weight, and was in no rush to get it off.  I knew that we wanted another baby sooner or later, so I figured "why work my ass off now, if its just going to come back in a few months." So I was still "thin" but I was no where near where I could have been.  Two and a half years after my son was born, I had my daughter.  The pregnancy weight came off pretty quick, but I was still far from happy with the way I looked/felt.  I had a million excuses as to why I couldn't take charge of my fitness/health.  "I will work out when the baby starts sleeping though the night."  "I am a size 10, national average is 12, so I am good."  "I look better with 2 kids than a lot of people do with 0".  People would still tell me, "You look great for having two kids!!" Then it hit me.  I didn't want to look great for having two kids, I didn't want to look like I had kids.  I wanted my energy back, I wanted to be able to wear what I wanted without feeling like it was not flattering on my problem areas.  I was not feeling very confident in my mom uniform of yoga pants and t-shirts.. I needed to step up my game, and the only person that could make me do it was ME.

So in January I took the first step.  I joined a weight loss challenge that was accompanied by nutrition classes.  I needed to be held responsible, and a group setting was perfect for me.  I blogged about my mission, (week one, week two, week three, week four) The classes were a really great way to get started, they really helped me to learn what I should be eating vs what I just needed to cut out.


This is a pic of me in the beginning.  Before any classes.  I really wanted to take a "before" pic in a bikini, but I couldn't put one on without feeling totally gross about myself.  In hind-sight I wish that I would have, but I think you can see from this pic that I wasn't in great shape.  Even though I am wearing black leggings, they are not covering up the tree-trunk legs.  I have not told anyone how much I weighed when I started.. but here I go.  In my first weigh in I was whopping 162.  Yikes!  That was an all time high for me (besides the baby making).
January 2012

After 6 weeks of weight loss classes, I was down 10 lbs.  I was still not happy with where I was, I wanted to do more.  So my husband and I started P90X together.  It was HARD.  Here is a pic of me on say one.  I kept up with eating healthy and pushed myself hard.  



March 2012



We finished  the full 90 days of the program and I felt like I was in the best shape of my life.. I felt like I still needed work so I started the Brazil Butt Lift program.. my "problem" area has always been my legs/butt, so I wanted a work out that focused on them.  After P90x my weight hovered at 147 for what seemed like months.  I was getting into better shape, but the numbers weren't moving, so I decided to make another change.  I cut out all processed foods from my diet. (every once in a while I will cheat) but for the most part its fresh fruit and veggies, and home cooked meals, and limited carbs.  When I started this I didn't think twice of having a big bowl of cereal in the morning, a sandwich at lunch, and a huge bowl of pasta for dinner.  After cutting all of the crap, filling myself with nutritional food, I dropped another 6 lbs in a matter of a few weeks.


August 2012

This is a pic I took of myself this morning, I am proud to say I have abs!  Visible abs!!  Last week I bought a new bikini for our beach vacation next week, and I am so happy/proud that I will be able to wear it.  It has taken a lot of hard work (I work out 6-7 times a week).. and a complete change in diet and how I view food, but the pay back has been well worth the sacrifice.  Working out is now my "me" time, a time I look forward to every day, and when I used to look forward to a big bowl of ice cream to cap off the night, I am now just as happy with an apple and a little (all natural, organic, no sugar added) peanut butter.

I think I still have work to do.  But I wanted to share  my story to show you that if I can do it, you can do it.  I have lost 21 lbs in past 8 months.  I have gone from a size 10 to a size 6 (I haven't been a 6 since high school!)  I am not perfect, and I never will be, but I will get to where I want to be, and you can too.  I beg you, stop using your kids as an excuse to be out of shape and to eat crap.  Once you take control of your life and make YOU a priority, you will have so much more energy to share with your kids!  I know as moms we tend to put ourselves on the back burner, but its time to stop!  Its time to put the yoga pants away, and get yourself into that cure pair of jeans that you didn't think you would ever fit into again, I did, and so can you!

~Richelle

No comments:

Post a Comment