Tuesday, June 12, 2012

"Older" moms

begin rant.

I am 29.  I have 2 kids.  In the town I am from, this is "the norm."  My husband and I made a choice that we wanted to have kids as soon as we got married, we wanted to be young enough to enjoy them, to be able to run around with them, and we didn't want to be 60 when they graduated high school.  We probably could have spent more time for "us" when we first got married, while most of our friends were still going out every weekend, and partying, we were on diaper duty and mid-night feedings... but we made the decision to put the sleep-deprived time in early.  We both wanted to be done with the baby making by the time we were 30... and now with 2 kids.. we are done.  Its not a choice that everyone can make, some people don't find their spouse until well into their 30s... financial issues don't always pan out.. fertility problems put a kink in the plans.... and some people just want to hold on to their freedom for just a little longer.  This post is not at all about bashing anyone's decision to have children "later" in life.  It works for you, when it works for you, it is not my place to judge anyone for when they choose to have kids.
In the town we live in now.. in Canada.. it is VERY common to have kids a little later in life.  At 29, I have not met another mom my age.. or younger.  I even had one very rude woman ask me "Is THAT normal where you are from?".. I smiled and answered politely "yes, its normal where I am from.  I am not yet 30, and I am done..."  There were many choice words I wanted to say to the rude lady.. but I had to harness the Jersey bitch in me.  I have found it a little difficult to connect with many women because of the age gap.. I have found a handful that I really like.. but its a bit awkward when you are at a play date.. and they are talking about pre-menopause symptoms... and thinking about having another baby all in the same sentence. And a lot of the women I have met here have married older men.. so they may be nearing 40... but their husbands are nearing 50... and they have kids the same age as us.. so we have had some trouble finding "couple" friends we can connect with.  But again.. this is not to put down their decision to wait longer than we did.

THIS post is about my problem with those moms who are "older"... and use that as an excuse as to WHY they can't keep up with their kids.  The moms at the playground who don't watch their children because they don't have the energy to chase them.. the children who push and shove my sweet kids because they simply have not been taught better.  The kids at the play date that walk over to my little lady and steal a toy right out of her hands.. and who's mom just watches and says nothing.... the later makes the comment "kids will be kids... ugh I am too old for this!"  Listen, I really do not care WHEN you chose to have kids... but don't let your age be an excuse to be a shitty parent.  Children do not raise themselves.. and if I hear "I am too old for this" one more time.. I am going to lose my fucking shit.

ok.. end rant.

3 comments:

  1. I have an issue with any parent, no matter their age, that lets their kids run rampant. I am a mother of one wonderful daughter whom I had when I was 17. Now, I am almost 30 and have been told that I have more maturity than most people (in general). I work in an ER and have had to hold my tongue more often than not when I'd rather ask, "Do you know what parenting is? Do you know what discipline is?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100%!! I really don't care how old someone is when they have kids.. 16, or 45... kids need discipline.. and when your a parent it comes with the territory.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete